July 7th happens to be a pretty special day in the Mahoney family as it is our lovely matriarch’s birthday. The most selfless, loving, and supportive woman in the world, my mother Dana turns 55 today and from the photo below you wouldn’t think she was a day over 40 (love those Danish genes!). In true Dana fashion she is taking her birthday celebrations into her own hands and planning a blowout.
As you read this my two sisters, father, mother and I are en route to a spot a little too close for comfort near the California/Mexican border to jump out of a plane and skydive! Yep, the entire Mahoney clan is throwing caution to the wind and hurling themselves out to the unknown with a strange man attached to their backs!
But before our plane takes off I have my own birthday surprise for her. Since as long as I can remember she has had an obsession with dutch pancakes and I cannot think of a better thing to serve her on her special day. So I woke up super early to surprise her with breakfast on the patio overlooking the ocean like a good daughter should! haha
They go by many names (dutch baby, dutch puff, bismarck, etc) and are a cross between a pancake and a crepe served with powdered sugar and fresh lemons. Whatever you may call them, there is one thing that is undeniable… they are fantastic!!! I wouldn’t suggest eating one everyday but once in awhile…oh ya.
Enjoy this breakfast recipe dedicated to my mother…….Happy Birthday Mom!
*The Birthday Gal*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbl unsalted butter
- 2 tbl powdered sugar
- 4 fresh lemon wedges
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and place skillet in oven to warm up
- In medium bowl, beat eggs until light then add milk and stir
- Gradually whisk in flour, nutmeg and salt
- Melt butter in hot skillet until completely coated with butter
- Pour batter into skillet and return to oven
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (or until it has puffed and is lightly browned)
- Remove immediately, sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with lemon wedges