My love for pie is no secret and this weeks recipe may be one of the best I have made. For the past six months now I have been trying to figure out a way to make a handheld pie and I finally figured it out!
It’s unlikely that I created the term “em”pie”nada” but you heard it here first and are privy to this little bit of news: my hope for the next year is to produce and sell these little gems! That’s right….I will usher in the inevitable pie takeover of the world with my little handheld pockets of joy! Hopefully coming to a coffee shop, grocery store or bar near you!
Cranberries are this months theme, but you can use pretty much any fruit for these! From start to finish this process takes two hours. While you probably should eat these cooled down, I couldn’t help myself and ended up taking one straight out of the oven, added a scoop of ice cream and went to town. After spending most of my weekend inside sick, I felt I deserved it :). Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 packages (28 oz) puff pastry
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tbsp raw sugar
- flour (for dusting)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Stir cornstarch and 3 Tbsp cold water in small bowl until fully dissolved
- combine fresh and dried cherries, sugar, vanilla extract, salt and orange zest in large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally
- when cherry juices are released, add cornstarch mixture, bring to a boil and stir often
- remove from heat and cool completely
- roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface and cut into 6 even rectangles
- whisk egg white and 2 Tbsp egg whites to make an egg wash
- brush all rectangles with egg wash and scoop 3 Tbsp cherry mixture onto three rectangles
- fold dough over filling and crimp edges with a fork to seal
- cut three slits into top of pie to vent
- repeat process until all puff pastry pockets are filled
- place on prepared baking sheet, brush tops with remaining egg wash and sprinkle tops with raw sugar
- chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes
- pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- bake for 35 minutes or until tops are golden brown
- let cool for ten minutes and enjoy!