Earlier this week I saw a tweet for a Greek-style bread pudding via the New York Times Dining & Wine Twitter feed and immediately emailed it to myself to make asap. My recent trip to Greece has made me gaga for any food that features the flavors and ingredients of that marvelous country and so I had to make this recipe asap!
I can’t claim any credit to this fabulous recipe by Martha Rose Shulman, but what I can do is say that I made the decision to make it gluten-free and tweaked it a little bit. If you wanna go whole wheat on this thing, then substitute the gluten-free bread for regular bread but I’ve gotta say, you can’t taste a difference!
I made and portioned this out for quick lunches and dinners throughout the week and made a creamy and zesty tzatziki-style sauce with cucumbers, lemon, and a little bit of harissa to serve alongside.
Follow New York Times Dining &Wine on Twitter for daily inspirations and new recipes! Enjoy!
*Yields 6 servings
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread, crust removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed yellow and green summer squash, grated and drained thoroughly (otherwise dish will be very watery)
- 2 TBL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 TBL fresh mint, chopped
- 1 TBL fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- toast bread lightly and cut into 1 inch dice
- toss with 1 cup milk in a large bowl and refrigerate for one hour, tossing every 10 minutes
- place grated squash in a colander and salt generously. let it sit for 15 minutes over sink and squeeze out water
- pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and only a 9 inch ceramic baking dish (or any dish you prefer)
- in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add chopped onion
- sweat onion, add salt, garlic and squash and stir together for 2 minutes
- stir in chopped dill and parsley, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper
- remove bowl with soaked bread from fridge and with clean hands, mash bread together until it turns into a mush
- add squash mixture and feta cheese to the bowl and stir together
- scrape into baking dish and top with parmesan
- break eggs into a bowl and beat with remaining 1/2 cup milk
- season with salt and pepper and pour over mixture already placed in baking dish
- bake mixture in oven for 50-60 minutes or until the mixture is puffed and golden brown
- remove from heat, allow to cool slightly (10 minutes) and enjoy!