This post is entirely dedicated to my girl Sarah, who turned 28 yesterday. The fanciest of my foodie friends…she’s weirdly eschewing her normal daily routine of fabulous meals at Jean Georges, Joel Robuchon, Petrossian and the like for a casual birthday picnic in Central Park Sunday afternoon! So in true MMMGuide fashion I’m bringing along a special surprise dish to eat (that you’ll be seeing on the blog next week) and the below to drink on this (hopefully) sunny afternoon celebrating Sarah in Sheeps Meadow this weekend!
I adapted this recipe from one I found in the May 2011 magazine of Food Network Magazine and added a few things that reminded me of Sarah….like cayenne pepper b/c she’s spicy and hot!
*makes 8 ice-filled tall glasses
- 6 English cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped *reserve 12-15 thin slices for garnish
- 4 lemons, juice 3 lemons and slice 1 lemon into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP cayenne pepper
- 1 drop Tabasco
- 8 sprigs mint
- 2 cups gin
- Puree cucumbers, strain through sieve or cheesecloth, and extract juice into bowl, chill
- Combine lemon juice, mint, tabasco and sugar and muddle with wooden spoon
- Stir in gin and cucumber juice
- Divide among ice-filled glasses, top with cucumber and lemon slices and sprinkle cayenne pepper on top