Tis the season for cold and creamy alcoholic drinks 😉
In this past weekends New York Times Magazine they featured a recipe for home-made egg nog which made me want to make it immediately after reading it. I mean who doesn’t love a glass of egg nog every now and then?
The recipe is simple but it takes some time. But it’s well worth it and will make you scoff at the pre-made mixes you find in the dairy aisle. I made a small batch (since the recipe serves 8) and found myself drinking the entire lot in just a day (with and without rum)! Do not substitute any item in this recipe as it will fail miserably……seriously.
Make a batch for an upcoming holiday party, with your family at your holiday meal or just because you want to get into the holiday spirit!
Happy Holidays Everybody!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 white sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum
- 1 nugget of whole nutmeg
- 1 big bowl of ice with water
- In a saucepan, heat 2 cups milk but don’t boil and turn off the heat
- In a mixing bowl gradually add the sugar into the egg yolks and whisk until thick and pale
- whisk 1 cup of the warm milk into the yolk-sugar mixture
- add to the milk in the pan and stir over low heat until thickened and blended
- turn off the heat and quickly stir in the cream
- place pan in large bowl with ice and stir occasionally until chilled
- when chilled put into punch bowl, add rum and the remaining milk
- beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until they form soft peaks
- fold egg whites into the nog and grate nutmeg over entire punch bowl