I’m back!!! I took a much-needed one week blogging break to fully devote myself to my long-awaited return to Manhattan after living for three years in Brooklyn! And let me tell you…last week my eating habits were all over the place…..moving kinda does that to you or at least it did to me. I was not only too tired from the entire process to cook but I also had no clue where my pots and pans were since the moving company packed everything for us!
But Thursday came and I found my arsenal of kitchen items to make this dish that I’ve had on my mind for weeks. The recipe is from theKitchn and even though I made some slight changes the concept is pretty much still the same.
After nearly a week of take-out and restaurant meals…this healthy meatless meal was just what I needed to get my new apartment organized and ready to go! Enjoy today and celebrate Meatless Monday!
- 4 Sweet Potatoes or 6 small Yams
- 1 15 oz can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups mixed kale, trimmed and sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350, wash outside of sweet potatoes or yams, prick them in a fork a few times and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil
- Roast until soft all the way through (About 45 minutes)
- 20 minutes before sweet potatoes/yams are done heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat, add shallots and garlic and cook until softened (about 4-5 minutes)
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute
- Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the kale, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the kale is soft
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper
- Remove the sweet potatoes/yams from the oven and let cool
- Remove the kale and bean mixture from the heat and let cool for two minutes
- Slice each sweet potato and push the ends up so the middle meat raises up
- Spoon the bean and kale mixture into the center