I’ve got a picnic in the park tomorrow with friends and wanted to bring something other than a salad, hummus or cheese plate. Berries are starting to spring up in the markets and my mint is growing out of control so I figured why not mix the two and make into popsicles to bring to the party? I’ve transported popsicles to a party once before (where they were a big hit) so I know what I need to bring to make them hold up for longer than the bike ride to get to the park…i.e. lots of ice and a cooler.
Last time around I made them in plastic cups but this time I was gonna make them right and so bought something I know I will use often….star-shaped popsicle molds!
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- 2 TBL fresh mint, minced
- Combine Berries in a bowl with the lemon juice and mint
- Mash the mixture with a large wooden spoon for 30 seconds then let sit for half an hour to macerate
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and simmer until sugar is dissolved, let cool for 5 minutes and then combine with the macerated berry mixture
- In blender, place berry mixture in and pulse twice to break up, then return to bowl
- Carefully pour into plastic cups or popsicle molds and freeze for six hours
- If popsicles are not unmolding easily, just run some hot water over them for a few seconds